Monday, July 18, 2016

From Georgia to West Virginia

Since I've last blogged 8 days ago we have been to many places...we left Georgia and headed through South and North Carolina and ending up near Spotsavania. VA.  In North Carolina we visited the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte, stayed a night at a Howard Johnson Hotel in Concord (don't recommend - TV and Internet did not work, they were remodeling the hotel and unfortunately we were given a room right next to the rooms being remodeled...the workmen started work at 7am and worked until 9pm. After complaining we were offered another room but we were too tired to move...so we put up with it. 

Billy Graham's childhood home


Barn behind the house


Ron and Carole with Luna






















Our next stop was our good friends who live near Spotsylvania (90 miles from DC).  They live in a a secluded area which is very quiet and beautiful. We ate easy meals or ate out, we did lots of visiting and catching up (we've known them for over 52 years - before marriage) We ate at a wonderful Mexican restaurant (hard to find on east coast) named Poco Mexican, drove to the lake where they own a piece of property they use for 'get away time', visited with their 2 grown children and 2 grandchildren (what a kick), went to church in a church built in the 1800's, and watched our Luna (dog) have a blast with their dog and 4 cats.  Luna didn't want to leave when we did this morning. 





Shenandoah River





Today we drove into West Virginia where we found a wonderful KOA close to the Shenandoah River. This KOA is huge...we have a cabin but Howard is disappointed there is no TV.  It was daily warm when we arrived about noon-ish but mid-afternoon we had a downpour that helped cool things down.  We do have AC plus we brought a fan that does a good job of helping keep the heat to a doable feel. (WV is one of the few states we had never visited - still have New Jersey, Maine and Michigan to go but not this trip!

I have not been feeling very well the last few days and had to contact my doctor in Phoenix for meds for a UTI.  This is the 4th one I have had in the last year.  I hope it's the last.  Today is the first day since starting the meds (Saturday) that I feel good.  I've been trying to do lots of walking (per my cardiologist's instructions)....it may not be enough but it's much more than I do at home.  I'm averaging about 400-500 steps a day (missing a few days here and there, especially when I wasn't feeling well) - not counting regular walking around.

Our next big stop is Louisville, KY where Howard has a ton of relatives we hope to see...we hope to be there by Thursday and stay through the weekend.

My not feeling good had a lot to do with my not blogging - that and the fact I'm plan lazy and would rather have fun or visit with friends that we don't see for years on end.  I'll try to get back to my every 2 day routine immediately.

Howard and Mary
The Wandering Warrens

No comments:

Post a Comment