Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 15 - Leaving Goshen

After another hearty breakfast provided by our B&B we packed up and went our separate ways...us to do some research on Goshen and some of my ancestors; Gerry and  Martha headed back to Minnesota (grandkids calling).  We are taking a couple days to regroup and then onto PA by Wednesday.  We are only 2 weeks into our trip...hard to believe - seems more like a month....looking forward to the rest of our trip.


I had some success on my  genealogy search but not as much as I would have liked.....my first stop was the Elkhart County Courthouse but they sent me a couple blocks over to the County Assessors office who sent me to the County Recorders office next door.  There I had some good help from a couple of gals who let me know that real estate records are only computerized back to 1960 (I was looking for my grandparents home in the late 1930s. I had an address of ony S. 10th Street and needed the # so I could drive by). One of the girls showed me how to search the record books....I spent about an hour looking through them and then there they were Troyer, Elmer D and Mary....took the info back to the girl helping me, she found some additional info using the info I provided and then proceeded to tell me to take the info back next door to the county assessor's office....they then did some additional searching and came back with a printed page with the info I needed...my grandparents address in 1935 to 1938. YAY!!!!!  We then drove by the house and took pics.  Then off to Goshen High where my mom had gone to school and graduated.


Next stop Goshen News where my mother was the Society Editor in the 1930's and maybe before.  I spoke to the editor of the paper who promised to do some research for me and get back to me. He also said that the building they are in is the original building and dates back to early 1800...it was a cool thought to think that my mom worked in this same building I was walking in today!





The newspaper editor suggested we go by the library but I was getting tired and we needed to get on the road again.....so about noon we headed out and are now spending the next couple days at a KOA in Streetsboro in Ohio....it's really nice here with a lake, pool, game room, green grass and fresh air....overall through we are not impressed with the toll roads, it has cost us $16.50 just in toll fees  today...there will be more before we get out of here on Wednesday.




No comments:

Post a Comment